Demboski Diary

Demboski Diary



Stories of our life...

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Dunes with Uncle Dude

The journey is sometimes equally as fun as the destination right? Well when we are traveling in Uncle Dude's motor home it certainly is. We headed to Glamis with Mike and Becky, all three kids and three dogs with the Grandparents following us. We were quite the scene. The kids were so excited, but after a long 6 hour drive, they fell asleep. When we arrived, we made up their bed and they slept through the night. Allison was the first to wake up, she looked outside through the window and said out loud "mommy, I thought we were going to the desert, but I don't see the pyramids". That was the start of our adventure.

 Mike took me, Allison and Paul out for the first ride of the weekend. Andrew waited anxiously behind with Ashley, Grandma and Papa. The ride was nothing like I expected. I was shocked that Allison enjoyed it, although I should never underestimate that girl. Mike did not hold back! We were flying up and down the dunes, sand blasting in our face, the smell of gas filling up the air...the whole ride made me a nervous wreck and I was so relieved when we stopped for a break. Allison was loving it! I was anxious to get back to Andrew and Ashley...and a chair!



 It was finally time for Andrew to go out. Allison really wanted to go again, but Paul and I were not quite up for it again, so we sent a substitute, Papa! We strapped both kids in the back and put Mike in charge. They were gone for over two hours.

 While they were out flying through the dunes, Paul took advantage of some quite time and painted Warhammer.
 Ashley played in the motor home and tried to fall down the stairs at least 6 times.  The group finally got back from the final ride of the day, and I was excited to hear how Andrew liked the ride. Well he loved it! He kept asking if he could drive next time. Oh this kid makes me nervous. Mike told us that Allison fell asleep during the madness, which I have no idea how that could be possible, since I was fearing my life (OK maybe not fearing my life) the whole time. They said she slept through about half of the ride! I could not stop laughing when they told me. Oh Alligator, what am I going to do with her?

 The sunset was beautiful that night. We took a small walk to the top of a hill to capture the moment.


 Allison was happy to pose with Cold Baby, and Andrew enjoyed hamming it up for a solo shot.



The last day the kids were excited to go back out for one more ride. Paul was up for it and I happily packed up our stuff. Little did we know that when the kids were flying around on the dunes, sand was collecting in the functional parts of their car seats, and when we took the car seats out of the buggy to install them back in the motor home, we were unable to strap them in properly because of all the sand. Thankfully Becky's brother-in-law came to the rescue. He had to take them apart, use an air compressor to blast all the sand out, and put them back together.
We had a great weekend with Mike and Becky, Grandma and Papa and we can now add this to our list of things we have done. We just might go back out again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment