Demboski Diary

Demboski Diary



Stories of our life...

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Core concepts math in Spanish

This year in 1st grade has become a very big challenge for Andrew and I. Core concepts is a way of teaching and learning that is supposed to prepare kids for a higher level of thinking. But it's killing me. Andrew is struggling and homework each night involves tears and google translator. But I will not sit back and watch my boy struggle. I have sought out help from his teacher. I am texting her pictures like this one to her each night and asking her if andrew is doing it correctly. I requested a conference to go over Andrews progress. I also asked her for assistance for Andrew after school. I also requested that he be evaluated my a speech pathologist. I must say advocating for my son has got us far. He is going to start an after school study session with his teacher and a small of students. Andrew has been seeing the speech and language therapist for a few weeks now and we finally got a meeting for an IEP. Andrew is feeling supported by all of this and I am feeling like a pretty darn good mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment