Demboski Diary

Demboski Diary



Stories of our life...

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Andrew starts preschool







Today was a big milestone in our lives. Andrew had his first day of preschool. We managed to get him into Bayshore Co-op Preschool right on the beach. We went yesterday to meet his teacher and check it out, and Andrew loved it and didn't want to leave!
This morning we all went down to Belmont Shores to drop off our little dude. We signed him in and gave hugs and kisses. The teacher Miss Cori asked him if he wanted to go ride bikes and he said "YEAH" they held hands and walked to the bike yard, and that was it! There were no tears or anything! Paul, Allison and I watched him from the parking lot for a little bit as he biked around and showed one of the volunteer moms his shoes that has Buzz Lightyear on them. The bell rang and he walked with all of the other little kids into the little school house for circle time. And me being the crazy mom that I am, walked back up to the school and peaked in the door and saw him sitting down looking up at the teacher as she did role call. It was so cute! I was so relieved that he was happy.
Three hours later Allison and I picked him up. I got there about 15 minutes early and sat in my car and watched as him and all of the other kids ran out of the school house and onto the playground, Andrew screaming with excitement the whole way to the slide. I watched him running around with the other little boys, growling and climbing up the slide. I was surprised to see the girls and boys playing separately. I finally got out of my car and walked up to the playground to pick up my little preschooler. He was so excited to see me and yelled "mommy!!" and ran up to me and gave me a quick hug and then ran back to his friends. He did not want to leave and kept playing. I managed to peel him away from the playground. He had a great first day, but he had 2 peepee accidents. Andrew hasn't had an accident in probably 9 months! The teacher said he was having so much fun that he probably just forgot. I also forgot to show him where the bathroom is, which I am sure would have helped.
I can't believe this day has come! I look at him sometimes and see that little baby from the NICU. His eyes are the same, his hair is the same, and his heart is the same. It is hard to imagine just 3 years ago we were afraid he was never going to have the ability to think, speak or feel... and now he is going to preschool! I am so proud of my little man. He amazes me everyday with how grown up he is. He quickly learns all of the words to so many songs, he communicates like an adult with a huge vocabulary, he genuinely cares for others and understands people's feelings and truly wants everyone to be happy. He is my little boy and I am so in love with him. I am happy that he is growing up so healthy and that he is starting on this journey of school with such a positive attitude. This is where the foundation of education starts, and I am so excited that he gets to start this new chapter of his life at Bayshore co-op where I get to be involved and he receives the best start to an education.

No comments:

Post a Comment